September 8-14, 2013
Schedule of Events...
A week-long celebration of all things lobster in the Penobscot Bay Region!
Join us to learn all about the lobstering trade and tradiions, while enjoying lobster morning, noon and night! We’ll be adding to this schedule as events are planned, but for now, here’s a glimpse of what’s in store.
Every Day, September 8-14, 2013!
- $10 lobster specials at restaurants (Lobsterpalooza signs in windows of participating restaurants)
- Get a free lobster with special purchases at participating stores (look for Lobsterpalooza signs)
- Haul traps with a Maine lobsterman and bring a lobster home
- 11am -7 pm: Lobster & Olive Oil Tastings, FIORE Artisan Olive Oils & Vinegars, 503 Main St. Rockland
- Enter to win a Lobster Lover’s Getaway at participating businesses
- Area inns offer Lobsterpalooza packages & lobster breakfasts to guests
- Register for Lobster Mac n Cheese contest at State of Maine Cheese Co., Rockport (through Sept 6)
Monday, September 9: Support Penobscot Bay lobstermen by buying locally...
12:00-5:00 pm: Crustacean Cash Mob at Ship to Shore Lobster Co, 7 Wharf St, Owls Head
Tuesday, September 10: Support your local lobstermen and women...
10:30-11:30am: Lobster Story Time for young kids, birth to 5 years old, Rockport Library, One Limerock St. Rockport
12:00 – 5:00 pm: Crustacean Cash Mob at Jess’s Market, 118 South Main Street, Rockland
Wednesday, September 11: K. Stephens, author of The Ghost Trap presents lobstering way of life...
4:00-5:30 pm: K teams up w/Rockland Food Service, 195 Park S., Rockland for free beer tasting and presentation
Thursday, September 12:
Nap-AH Lobster & Wine Tour: All Aboard Trolley tour of 3 local wineries with Maine lobster tastings & lobster roll lunch. Pick up: 10:30 am/Rockland Chamber or 11:00 am/Camden Chamber. Reservations: 207-691-9300. $55 pp
6:00-7:30pm: Wine Tasting & Ghost Traps at Breakwater Vineyards Tasting Room, 373 Main St, Rockland: Enjoy an array of Breakwater wines while K. Stephens reads fictional excerpts from The Ghost Trap combined with video clips of 4th generation Maine lobsterman Ryan Post's DVD Maine Buggin
Friday, September 13: Support your local lobstermen and women...
12:00 -5:00 pm: Crustacean Cash Mob at Graffam Brothers, 211 Union Street, Rockport
Lobster Mac-n-Cheese Contest...
Calling all Chefs for State of Maine Cheese Co. Lobster Mac-n-Cheese Contest!
Professional and amateur chefs are invited to enter. Judging will take place on Saturday, Sept. 14 at the State of Maine Cheese Co. in Rockport, ME. All registrations must be submitted no later than Sept 6, 2013 - download Registration Form here. Or pick up your form at State of Maine Cheese Co
First, second and third place recipes will receive trophies/certificates, media coverage, cheese packages, and gift certificates.
Rules & Procedures
- Your recipe must include these three ingredients: Maine lobster, any kind of cheese and any kind of pasta. Feel free to add any additional ingredients you wish.
- Ingredients may be purchased at stores of contestants’ choice. However, the State of Maine Cheese Co in Rockport, ME will offer a 50-percent discount on any cheeses purchased there for this contest.
- The submitted recipe must be original. An original recipe may not have been published anywhere else (unless it is included in your own cookbook). It may resemble another published recipe, but at least one significant alteration must have been made to the published recipe, and the recipe must bear an original name.
- There will be two categories for entering the contest:
Professional chef: Any person employed in a chef or cooking position and/or restaurant position, including restaurant owners.
Amateur chef: Any person who is not presently employed in a restaurant or food serving establishment of any kind.
- Your dish must be big enough to serve as many as 7 professional judges and up to 5 amateur judges.
You are responsible for keeping your dish warm. We hope to have warming trays, but there are no ovens on site to warm your dish. Please plan accordingly.
- All entries must pre-register. Pick up registration forms at the State of Maine Cheese Co. or download here
Saturday, September 14th: 2:00pm at State of Maine Cheese Co. in Rockport, ME.
- Linda Greenlaw, lobsterwoman/author and her mother & Martha Greenlaw, fellow cookbook author.
- Meredith Goad, Food Writer, Portland Press Herald
- Amy Traverso, Food Editor, Yankee Magazine
Additional judges being added.
First, second and third place awards will be given in both the amateur and professional categories.
Download Contest Registration Form Here